Monday, April 25, 2011

a wild Monday

Yep... wild. Wind, dense hard rains, periods of blue skies and fluffy white-grey clouds, then back to the rain. Exciting walking with my garden cart... good with tailwind coming home, but very tough getting down there, and especially tough crossing Circle and Walnut Sts. Can't trust the drivers to see me, even tho I have a very very bright yellow rain jacket. Drivers don't seem to see me, no matter the weather. Adds another element to the sport of organic gardening!

Enough sunshine today to open many of the lilacs along my walking routes. That single factor is enough to get me out there. To bury your face in a newly-opened lilac is simply heaven. Maybe that's what we'll find when we arrive in heaven, fresh off the bus? A comfortable chair in a thicket of blooming lilacs? Add a cold Dos XX cerveza and I'll sign up today.

A Book

A book you might want to look for... "100 Places to Go Before They Disappear". By a Danish guy, Gaute Hogh, who ..."was inspired to produce the book after witnessing the effects of global warming in his native Denmark. He wanted to show how natural beauty around the globe would be forever altered by climate change".

"The whole purpose of this book was to show my children the effects of climate change," Hogh says. "If we don't do anything, we'll lose some of these beautiful places."

So you get photos of 100 places... London, Manhattan, the Wadden Sea (Denmark), Brazil, Argentina and Chile, the Maldives, Bangladesh, and on and on. And of course, he's focused on sea-level rise. He could just as well have taken photos of the Pakistani floods, the Texas fires, the Australian droughts/floods.

Do we have an obligation to do something? I think so. I hope you'll look at the book and agree that Business As Usual is a death sentence for Earth. And for humanity, and all sentient beings. Namaste.


Again... comments at corvallisgadfly@gmail.com. Or find me on Facebook! WhooooHoooo!

No comments:

Post a Comment